Sunday, August 2, 2009

Task 1, 28th July: Shape Of A Scent

The shape of a scent task was a very interesting and I though enjoyable process of taking the smell of a perfume and then trying to produce the shape of a bottle that represented and reflected that smell, then to take that design and be able to articulate the reasons for your ideas and choices.

When we were first given the scent I was immediately hit by its potency and the very strong feminine and lingering factors of its smell. One of my very first thoughts about it was that it smelt somewhat similar to a pear, which was later reflected in the overall shape of my design. But after further investigation of smelling the scent I was to discover that it had two distinct levels that were obvious to me. The first was a very strong over powering smell one that lingered in the air not evaporating but staying low to the ground and spreading very slowly, to me the shape of it was very bottom heavy, wider at the bottom and very slender at the top. The second of the scents that I was able to smell was one of an underlying and very faint spice, one that tingled the nostrils and was quite hard to recognise as it was very well hidden by the much stronger curtain.

We attributed some ideas to the smell, they being sophisticated, comforting, mature, elegant and relaxing. These were what I tried to base my design on and I think I was able to accomplish this by designing a vessel that had a textured sphere protected by three posts that wrapped around the sphere. I did this to represent and reflect the scents protected spice by the much stronger smell that stayed in the air as the delicate inner scent disappeared.

All in all I thought the exercise was a very productive and interesting one and really pushed us to try and unerstand something that we could not see, hear or touch but only smell, and then to take what we understood and discovered about the scent and to make a vessel that we would put forward as a product. I also found the articulating of my ideas reaaly gave me a confidence boost in terms of speaking about my ideas and taking a strong stance on what I wanted to achieve and produce.




The first three attempts in getting the design right for the vessel.



The final design that was presented to Mar.

No comments:

Post a Comment